MEMBERSHIP TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Last Revised: November 14, 2020
These Membership Terms and Conditions (Terms) govern your membership with the Sherwood Park Fish and Game Association (SPFGA) and use of any property or facility (Property) owned or operated by SPFGA.
ADMISSION OF MEMBERSHIP
Membership is available to any person who wishes to support the conservation of our fish, wildlife and natural resources and their management of the future and subscribes to the policies, principles, objectives and rules of the Association.
It is the responsibility of every member to review and abide by the SPFGA Bylaws when they first become a member and to review them periodically for any changes.
It is the responsibility of every member to review and abide by the SPFGA Facility Rules when they first become a member and to review them periodically for any changes.
The SPFGA uses email as the primary method of communication. The use of email greatly cuts down on expenses while also providing a quick, reliable, and traceable form of communication.
The SPFGA maintains three streams of communications to ensure members stay informed:
- Range of Thoughts: quarterly club newsletter
- Bullet Points: semi-monthly news and information
- Safe and Sound: occasional facility safety and system messages, sent at need
Each member is encouraged to obtain their own personal email address, to ensure that this address is included in their member record, and to subscribe to all three of these streams of communication to stay current and informed on club matters. Of the three, receiving Safe and Sound by email is a compulsory condition to maintaining an active gate access card, due to the facility safety messaging these emails provide.
While it is a member’s legal right to unsubscribe from all three streams of communication, or to not use email at all, the gate access card of members who do not receive Safe and Sound by email will be deactivated. These members are still able to access the property, they simply need to call the office at 780-467-0085 during office hours in advance each time they wish to do so. This is necessary so the member can be informed of any closures, or whether there are any specific conditions, concerns, or hazards they should be aware of. Once this is done, the member’s gate access card will be then be activated for a 72-hour period.
Electronic transmission via email of these three communications streams is included in the annual membership fee. Members who wish to receive club communications in print via Canada Post can, for an additional charge of $75 per year, arrange this by contacting the office at 780-467-0085 during office hours.
RIGHTS AND PRIVILEGES
A Member shall have the right:
- Of access to the property and facilities as provided by the membership classification.
- To one vote on matters of the Association during General Meetings.
- To become a Member of the Board if so elected by a majority at the Annual General Meeting or if appointed by the Board.
- To receive communications from the Association.
- To inspect the Association's books and records as outlined in Article 5.4.1 of the Bylaws.
All Members shall be obligated:
- To comply with Association rules and policies as established by the Board published documents, and/or posted on the Association's recreational and firearm facilities.
- To accept Safe and Sound emails (facility safety and system messages), the receiving of which is compulsory to maintaining an active gate access card, and to indicate if they wish to also receive Bullet Points (semi-monthly news and information) and Range of Thoughts (quarterly club newsletter) emails, which are optional but strongly recommended.
- To complete a Facility and Safety Orientation before receiving a new membership; existing Members may be required to complete or repeat a Facility and Safety Orientation at regular intervals as deemed appropriate by the Board.
- To maintain accurate and current contact information within their member profile by updating it as needed by either editing it directly via the SPFGA website or by contacting us.
- To provide the Restricted Firearms License Number (RPAL) for all members that hold this license type. SPFGA is required to collect this information and make it available on request to the chief firearms officer as per section 14 (1) of the Shooting Clubs and Shooting Ranges Regulations.
CODE OF CONDUCT
Our desire is a safe, clean facility where everyone is welcomed and encouraged to enjoy the outdoor activities we offer. All members are expected to read, be familiar with, and abide by this Code of Conduct, the Facility Rules, and the policies of the SPFGA. Enforcement and adherence to these rules is the duty and responsibility of every member.
- act with a safety mindset at all times.
- be ethical and honest.
- obey all applicable laws and regulations.
- be courteous and considerate with other members and guests.
- be respectful when approaching one another with safety concerns.
- leave the area clean and ready for the next person to use.
- not willfully destroy SPFGA property.
- be fully responsible for the actions of their guests.
Violation of this Code of Conduct or the Facility Rules will be referred to the Member Discipline Committee for investigation in accordance of item 2.5 of the Bylaws.
ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP FEES
Memberships are from January 1st to December 31st of the current year in which the membership is purchased. There is an annual membership fee for each Membership Classification. Membership fees are established in accordance with the SPFGA Bylaws.
WITHDRAWAL AND REFUND OF FEES
A Member may withdraw from the Association tendering a written resignation to the Secretary of the Association or cease to be a member through expulsion. The membership fee of such members, or any part thereof, shall not be refunded except as approved by the Board.
By accepting these Terms, all members are stating that:
- I understand the risks and hazards involved in participating in activities, performing work or conducting other business, on my own or at events organized by SPFGA. I recognize that serious and potentially life-threatening injuries can occur while shooting a firearm or participating with others who do, either in a club sponsored program, or on my own at the Property or by simply being at the Property while others are present.
- I understand that it is my responsibility to consult with a physician prior to and regarding my participation in any activity on the Property. I represent that I am physically fit, and I have no medical, psychological, or other condition which would prevent my full participation at the Property. I further represent that I am under no kind of restraint against the possession or use of a firearm, including any sort of domestic violence restraining order and that I am legally free to own, possess or handle firearms
- I realize that my liability may arise from negligence or carelessness on the part of the person or entities being released, from dangerous or defective equipment or property owned, maintained or controlled by them or because of their possible liability without fault.
- In consideration of being permitted to participate in the activities and/or programs at the Property, I agree to assume full responsibility for any and all risks, injuries, or damages, known or unknown, of whatsoever kind and nature, which I might incur as a result of participating at the Property.
- In further consideration of being permitted to participate at the Property, I knowingly, voluntarily, and expressly waive any and all claims I, or my estate, my heirs, or any person claiming under me completely and without reservation that I may have against SPFGA, its agents, officers, directors, shareholders, employees, instructors, volunteers, or representatives from any and all injuries or damages that I may sustain as a result of participating in any activities at the Property. Also, I, my heirs, executors, administrators, next of kin, successors, or legal representatives forever release, waive, discharge and covenant not to sue SPFGA, its agents, officers, directors, shareholders, employees, instructors, volunteers, or representatives for any personal injury, death, disability, property damage, property theft or acts and/or omissions of whatsoever kind and nature including, but not limited to, those caused by its negligence or other acts including, but not limited to, those acts and/or omissions of other participants or persons at the Property.
- I understand that photographic, video and/or sound recordings may occur during my presence at SPFGA events and as long as I am in the general area, I may be incidentally included in such recordings. Should I wish to be excluded from such recordings, I understand that it is my responsibility to be aware of the making of such recordings and remove myself from the area or events being recorded. Absent such action on my part, I hereby grant the SPFGA, its sponsors and beneficiaries, the right to use these recordings of me in the promotion of the shooting sports or the organization in general, in accordance with accepted journalistic practice.
- I hereby consent to receive medical treatment, which may be deemed advisable in the events of injury, accident and/or illness during the activities at the Property.
- This release shall remain in full force and effect so long as I am a participant of any event on SPFGA Property, a user of its facilities, or a guest at its events with no expiration for time or other reasons. I have read the above release and waiver of liability and fully understand its contents. I voluntarily agree to the terms and conditions stated above.
CHANGES TO OUR TERMS
SPFGA reserves the right, at our discretion, to make changes to these Terms at any time. These changes will take effect immediately after giving notice thereof, which notice may be made by revising the date of last revision set out above and by including such changes on the SPFGA website (or by any other means as we deem reasonable). Your continued use of your membership after such changes are made constitutes your acceptance of the new Terms. If you don’t agree to abide by these Terms, or any changes to the Terms made in the future, you shall not access, or continue to access, any property owned or operated by SPFGA and you will return your access card(s) along with a notice of resignation of your membership. It is your responsibility to review the SPFGA website to determine if changes have been made to the Terms and to review such changes. We shall not be liable to you for damages that might result from changes to the Terms, if any.
If you have any questions or concerns about the SPFGA’s Terms, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.